There are many cleaning aspects one can safely do without the help of a professional when it comes to cleaning up your A/C unit at the start of the season. There are a handful of things, however, to leave to the pros.
- Once per year, you should find a professional HVAC person to come out and inspect your air conditioning unit. This may include some basic servicing, but typically things that aren't safe to try and do yourself and can save you a lot of money in repairs in the long run.
- During this inspection, they will check things such as your belt conditions, voltage, carefully inspect drainage lines (we will discuss simple cleaning of these shortly) and check your vents and ducts. It's important to know that your unit will operate safely once initialized before you even attempt a DIY cleaning job.
Finally, they will look at your thermostat and the motor for your blower. If all comes out ok, it's time for your DIY cleaning.
Following are some simple ways to clean your air conditioning unit before the first major heat wave settles in:
- Don't begin any cleaning until the power to the unit is turned off. Keep in mind, the unit has fan blades.
- Depending on the location of your condenser, it may only take a little effort to clean (if it's on the roof, for example), but if it's on the ground you will have some things to clean and pick up around it. The simplest way to clean it is to remove the grate from the fan and simply vacuum out the debris and other things that may have gotten trapped inside.
- Check your fan, but do so with caution. The fan blades are more fragile than you would think and could bend easily.
- Check to make sure your condenser unit did not get off-kilter during the off-season. Level it a bit if needed.
- Clean evaporator coils which are located behind a door where your blower is. You can gently dust your coils, spray them with a coil cleaner. You should also be able to clean out the evaporator drain with a wet/dry vac and a little "finesse". There are plenty of YouTube videos out there if you would like to see some visual tips.
Basic cleaning of your A/C unit can save you costly repairs. Don't forget to change your air filters at least twice a year!
If you need an reliable and skilled heating and cooling professional, contact the team at AJR Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration today.